All of the information on this site has been meticulously researched and obtained from reputable sources, and I have done my best to include the main sources for each section on this site.
HSA eligibility references
Coming up with accurate eligibility status for the items on my list of HSA eligible expenses can be a challenge at times. The IRS only provides a partial list of eligible expenses, so consumers and even insurance companies are left to wonder exactly what products are eligible.
To help illustrate this point, I had a visitor email me to ask if regenerative medicine such as platelet rich plasma (PRP) and stem cell treatments are HSA eligible. I did extensive research and the answer pointed toward "probably not but check with your provider to see if they'll cover it." So I suggested that he consult them for guidance. His response was that he did and even they didn't know!
In a case like that, I would suggest getting a definitive answer in writing from your provider. If you can't get one, assume it's not eligible and don't expense it.
There are also cases where one source says an expense is eligible and another says it's not. In those cases I do my best to research the expense further and come up with an answer that seems most likely for the greatest number of providers.
At any rate, these are the primary sources I use for expense verification. Keep in mind this is not an exhaustive list, and I will frequently check product manufacturer websites for eligibility statuses, as they often will have done their own due diligence if they suspect people may want to use their HSA or FSA to pay for their products and they fall into the uncertain category.
- Publication 502 - IRS
- H.R.748 (CARES Act) - U.S. Congress
- HSA/FSA store - Amazon.com
- HSA/FSA store - Walmart
- HSA eligibility list - HSAStore
- Eligible expenses - Cigna
- Health savings accounts - Wikipedia
Blood pressure references
- Understanding blood pressure readings - American Heart Association
- High blood pressure - Mayo Clinic
- Blood pressure - Wikipedia
- How to pronounce sphygmomanometer - Dictionary.com
- How to say blood pressure in different languages - Google Translate
- About cholesterol - American Heart Association
- High cholesterol - Mayo Clinic
- Top 5 lifestyle changes to improve your cholesterol - Mayo Clinic
- Triglycerides: Why do they matter? - Mayo Clinic
Heart rate references
- Maximum and target heart rate numbers - American Heart Association
- Adjusted guidelines on target heart rate for women - New York Times
Life insurance references
- Factors that affect your life insurance quote - Investopedia
- Term vs. Whole Life Insurance - Investopedia
- How To Get A Better Rate On An Existing Life Insurance Policy If Your Health Has Improved - Forbes